Amazing Grace of God!

My 2 months in Switzerland is coming to an end....again. Three days ago I could have never imagined that I would have to stay here longer to file for a lost green card. God put me through a very difficult trial. I had all my luggage with me at the Geneva airport, yet I could not leave because the Airline refused to allow me get on board for US.  With Msn. Sarah and Paul next to me, I waited and waited as the airline tried to call the immigration office, but the answer was clear "No, she cannot return with only a copy of green card, she has to go to the US Embassy."

Tears came, I was devastated. Msn. Sarah and Paul prayed with me and I prayed in my heart also, but God did not answer our prayer immediately. I had to go back to Lausanne to file a police report and also to the Bern US Embassy.  Surprisingly, by God's perfect timing, Msn. Sarah and Paul had planned to go to Bern the next day to join the Bern UBF missionaries for Sunday worship service. They invited me to stay with them and then go with them to Bern in the morning. Little did I know that all this was in God's plan to show me His glory.

On Sunday morning, we drove to Bern (about 1 hr 40 min away) and we went to the small UBF center at Bern. There were 3 missionary families there who welcomed us warmly. We had a great multi-language worship service- Swiss German, Korean, and a bit English and French. It was my first time hearing German worship songs and prayer.. at one point I was moved to tears while singing a worship song in German about Jesus.  Also Msn. Paul gave a message about Mary and her sacrificial act of pouring the expensive perfume on Jesus. I understood his message, and I can understand how Mary can be so grateful after seeing that her brother was resurrected, but to be honest, my heart did not appreciate the message fully, because I was too preoccupied with worry about my situation. Satan clouded my thoughts.

After worship service, we had a wonderful lunch. The missionaries prepared delicious Korean BBQ and vegetables, I really enjoyed the food, and I also got to talk a little bit with the other missionaries. Afterwards, Msn. Josua and his wife Maria agreed to allow me to stay at their home for one night and to drive me to US embassy in the morning. They were so kind to allow me to stay with them even though they have two young daughters. Before dinner time, Msn. Josua drove me and his daughters around Bern for sightseeing.  It's funny because I did not get to visit Bern while I stayed, and it was one of my regrets that I did not get to see it. But I guess God took me there nevertheless!  I enjoyed walking around the old city of Bern, and Msn. Josua was so enthusiastic and helpful to take pics of me at the major tourist places.  Then at night, I enjoyed another lovely meal with Maria and Josua, and they also prayed with me for my embassy trip the next day.

Monday morning came, all of us prayed again, and enjoyed a quick breakfast. Then Josua drove me to the train station to lock my backpack in a locker (not allowed at embassy), and he drove me to the US embassy. I wouldn't have been able to get around the city if it wasn't for Josua, I am so grateful for his kindness to drive me and for his prayers! 

US Embassy looks big and scary outside. It has white walls, tall fences, and plenty of police walking around it. I had to go through 2 security screenings to go inside. I thought I went early, but there was already a line before it opened. When I went to the receptionist, however, he told me to go to this other window with no line. So without appointment, I was the first in line to replace my green card! So I had to wait at the window for about 30 minutes before it opened, meanwhile I had time to ask someone for change and print passport photos at a photobooth.  Finally an Asian receptionist saw me, and she was very nice as she asked for my documents. i gave her all the forms and certificates I prepared, and she took everything in, and told me to wait in the waiting room. I waited for about an hour, during which time I prayed to God again and again. Sometimes I can feel sudden waves of panic or anxiety come, as if Satan is attacking me, so I demanded the Satan to go away in the name of Christ! And I felt more peaceful afterwards. I also had the piece of memory verses Msn. Sarah gave me (because I couldn't bring the bible inside), so I looked over the verses many times. These two verses stood out to me the most..

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." - Philippians 4:4-7

  "Have faith in God," Jesus answered.  "Truly I tell you, if you say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and do not doubt in your heart but believe that what you say will happen, it will be done for you. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." Mark 11:22-24

I got to experience the meaning of both of these verses today.... first one about lifting up all our worries and praying to God, the second one about how to pray. I prayed specifically that I will receive the approval letter TODAY even though it seemed impossible according to the Embassy website.

With God, anything is possible! In an hour, I was called by the consulate, he asked me very few questions, then he told me, "don't worry, we'll take care of everything." And alas, 15 min later, I was called again and the receptionist gave me all the letter and documents I needed! I was so overwhelmed with thankfulness and amazed at the work of God! He answered my prayers after all, and by His perfect timing!

I came back to Geneva to Msn. Sarah and Paul's home, and they also told me that when Msn.Maria agreed to host me for one night, Msn. Sarah asked God to bless Msn. Maria's missions. And God indeed blessed Msn. Maria THIS morning as her sheep agreed to continue bible study with her after a period of uncertainty.

As Grace showed me a message about "jesus, the kernel of wheat", and Mary's love story with Jesus. I can finally understand the love Mary showed to Jesus. Like Mary, I went through a period of worry and uncertainty. Even though Mary and Martha told Jesus that "the one you love is sick", Jesus did not go heal  Lazarus right away. Instead, "Jesus said, "This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God's glory so that God's Son may be glorified through it." (John 11:4).  So even though Jesus loved Mary, Martha and Lazarus, He did not go relieve their troubles right away. Martha and Mary probably prayed much, and they were disappinted that Jesus did not come. In fact, it was after 4 days that Jesus went to see Mary and Martha, because He prepared to show them something better than a healing miracle.

When Jesus finally went to see Mary, she did not come out right away, because she was ashamed for having doubted God's love. But Jesus called her, and she wept as she saw Jesus, and Jesus also wept with her. Jesus then restored Lazarus to life, leading many people to believe in Him. And Mary poured out her perfume on Jesus to show her thankfulness.

I don't think it's a coincidence that I also stayed in Switzerland for 4 extra days because of my lost green card.  God also prepared this trial to show me a miracle, and also to show me the sacrificial lives of His servants in Switzerland. These missionaries welcomed me into their home because they loved God VERY MUCH!  This is my first time staying with a missionary, so I am very touched by how much they love the lord and the grace they show to their brothers and sisters in crisis.

I also want to be like Mary...to meet and know our God, to find His mission for me and to remember His sacrifice and love for us.  I still have some doubts and fears as to what the future holds, and I'm not sure how much time to devote to missions. But I am willing to lift up these questions to God, and I pray that He will show me how I can show my thankfulness to Him, just as Mary did. 

1 comments:

Post a Comment