God bless America

Phew, spent 5 hours this morning for my Oath ceremony, officially American citizen now w/ about 1000 other people! Never could I have imagined that it would take place in a school gym, w/ so many other people, celebrated w/ a middle school choir and band, AND a speech by an associate professor at BCM who is a physician at VA (who was originally from India and was naturalized 20 years ago...) 

Spent most of the morning anxiously waiting for ceremony to start (waited for 3 hours before it started....), tried to study histo but failed to do that in such a loud room, so resorted to falling asleep in my chair... participated in the ceremony by saying "I will", and then proceeded to wait another hour to pick up my certificate, and the 30 min commute to get home.. 

Still has some confusion & conflicting feelings about been 美国人, if I could, i would have like to kept dual-citizenship, but as that is not possible, I hope to give back to this country and grow to love it as my home, as the Oath said at the end, "So help me God".   On the other hand, it's good to know we are all citizen in God's nation, which is universal and beyond physical & political boundaries, may God bless America


1 comments:

Congratulations Cecilia!!!! :)

 

Post a Comment