I still can't believe this is already a post-graduation entry, oh my... this last week felt like a very long week- at the beginning of the week, I got sick with a cold or hay fever, and still had 2 finals to study and finish, and towards the end, I walked and celebrated graduation with friends and family... oh and my cold/allergy is getting better, thank the Lord for healing and good timing, as always.
Looking back on my entry last year on community, definitely a low point in my spiritual walk, and it was then that I really cried out to God for help and strength. A lot have happened since then, God has definitely answered my prayer in some unexpected ways. No He didn't miraculously produce a perfect best friend or community for me, rather, He has shown me how to value the people and community He has placed around me, and to be content in Him.
1Timothy 6:6-7 Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world
First, to value family. Honor your father and mother. With my uncle suddenly passing away last Christmas, there was a lot of family drama in the beginning of the year. From what I gathered, my uncle worked hard for most of his life, and he has made some great accomplishments for his work field; however, he also didn't spend as much time with his family. Perhaps he was under the impression that he'll have a lot of time when he has earned enough $$ to retired...but only God knows how much time we have left in this world. I feel so fortunate that my parents are alive and well, and live so close to me. Learning to appreciate them more.
Second, to value friends, brothers & sisters in Christ, and the church. Love your neighbor as yourself. This one was tough for me, I had to learn from God again, what it means to love others unconditionally. It is not not easy, and in the process, I definitely see a lot of my own sins and selfishness. Sometimes I simply just don't care enough about people, and sometimes I just don't know how to get to know them and encourage them. Leading cell group this year has definitely helped me grow in this aspect... learning how to pray for individuals who I didn't see or talk to frequently, learning how to take initiative in asking how they are doing and their prayer requests, learning how to be patient even when they don't respond the way I expected them to, learning how to trust in God to work in their lives instead of relying on ourselves...
Learning to embrace the community around me instead of continuously searching for an ideal community. I think during my confused search, I actually might have rejected the community around me, and perhaps unknowingly hurting some people and deterring possible friendships... something I'll be more aware of in the future. So in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.
Third, and most important, to value the awesome Lord our God. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind. This is a lesson that I need to take to heart, again and again, because I know there are times that i simply don't want to draw near to God. Throughout my college years, God has revealed to me all the ways He has been working in my life, all the undeserving grace and blessings. He has called me to draw near to Him..
Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. - James 4:8
There are many temptations that I have that I need to give up to God... on a daily basis, especially over the summer now that there's no school, my mind tends to drift off to places when I'm not super busy/occupied with things. Learning just how serious our sins are, and the importance of continuous sanctification...if your faith is not growing, then it is dead.
In courtesy of a good Sunday school class today, here are some verses from Hebrews to ponder upon..
Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, and since we have a great priest over the house of God, let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. -- Hebrews 10:19-25
Excited to see where God will lead me in the next four years! But for now... praying for a safe summer trip that will glorify God as well, praying for meaningful conversations and relationships to be built. Hoorah~! the journey is merely starting, onward and beyond!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment